Switchblade Monkeys On RadioPS
Hello person reading this, your friendly neighborhood Spider-Jew here! On December 11, we had a special episode of Radio PlayStation. Yousuf and Tony, from Switchblade Monkeys, joined us on the show to tell us all the amazing things we should know about their upcoming PS4 game, Secret Ponchos! The podcast and video are below, as well as a list of some of the key points from the interview, organized by our buddy Collin! Have a read and watch the interview for more info. Be sure to download Secret Ponchos Q1 2014, for the PlayStation 4.
- Twin-stick shooter, spaghetti western-inspired game, about creating an Outlaw and increasing your bounty online.
- The game will be free on PlayStation Plus, and the team at Switchblade Monkeys sees this as a gateway to a huge install base. Future DLC will keep the community invested over time as well.
- The game will not feature light bar, touchpad or motion controls, but remote play on Vita will be supported. The share button is important for the developers so players can learn from others.
- The game features original music, created by Chris Gillrie. You can hear some of the soundtrack on the Secret Ponchos Facebook page.
- Follow Switchblade Monkeys on Twitter (@SwitchbladeMkys) and Like them on Facebook!
- There will be 5 distinct maps at launch (Graveyard, Mexi Town, Saloon, Ranch and Train Wreck), with more being planned as, potentially, free DLC. Every map is a different size that works for how many players are in a match.
- Graveyard has you running and hiding around gravestones, while trying to gain position on other foes.
- Saloon is a larger map and battles can take place inside or outside the saloon.
- Ranch, a smaller level, is good for 1v1 or 2v2 battles, and focuses on a lot of fast paced action.
- Train Wreck is centered around a train that has gone off the tracks and is a favorite of the developers.
- Mexi Town is another smaller level which features a broken church as its central landmark.
- There are no restrictions and what map you can play on, so you can have 8 players on a small map such as Ranch.
- A lot of the items that provide cover, such as the gravestones in Graveyard, are destructible. Best not to hide in one place for too long!
- Tumbleweeds will be making an appearance. Some were being worked on during the interview
- 6 unique characters with a different primary and secondary weapon. Each character has specific traits like reload speed, range, and firing rate.
- Kid Red has 2 pistols as his main weapon and a stick of dynamite as his secondary. He fires fast shots, but has shorter range.
- Killer has a long range revolver and shoots slower, but powerful shots, and is very accurate. His secondary is a hunter’s knife that can allow for deadly combos on your enemies.
- Phantom Poncho is equipped with a shotgun and a bullwhip. He moves slow and need to get up close and personal to deal damage. His whip can slow down enemies and even pull a weapon from the enemy’s hands.
- More characters will be added later after launch in the form of paid DLC.
- Yousuf and Tony made it clear that the game will not be Pay To Win. Any additional characters will be there for variety and different play styles.
- Up to 8 players online, with 1v1, 2v2, and 4v4 Deathmatch modes with no respawn. Deathmatch is also best 2 out of 3.
- Free For All is the second mode which features respawn and power-ups such as double damage or unlimited stamina.
- The game features Split-screen online. You and a buddy can sit on the couch together and battle it out against another team online.
- “Leveling up” a character is through gaining reputation. As the bounty on your head increases, more people will be gunning for you!
- Players can wager their bounty against other players in a “blood bet”.
- The game is designed to getting you into the action as fast as possible when starting the game. All of your previously saved settings for matches carry over to the next time you start the game.
- There will be no tutorial when launching the game, Switchblade Monkeys decided to focus on the long term experience instead of the short term.
- An offline tournament mode may be added in the future.